GROWING OLD IS A PRIVALEDGE

 GROWING OLD IS A PRIVALEDGE


WHAT IT IS TO LOOK SHEEPISH.

What's the relevance of this? I don't know, but I read 2 articles recently about drug taking in elite sport.  We know someone here who used to work for WADA in Montreal.  Anyway, in the Guardian, it told me that if a sports person wants to have a shower after a game, someone has to watch them to ensure they don't have a sneaky wee. I don't know which is worse.  Having a shower with someone watching me, or watching someone have a shower.  Then today I read that if you are up there in the elite, you need to be careful who you kiss and have intercourse with.  Some French tennis player did both in a nightclub and was tested +ve for cocaine.  He had to find his 'one night lay down' (I'm not sure why they are referred to as 'one night stands', when it is unlikely that they are) and get her to confess that she was a cocaine addict.

Rainy day in Sydney
Looking miserable on a rainy day in Blue Rock Rd



Minimal success.



Life plods on at varying speeds for us and as the aging Ford Anglia of time tramps on, the belligerent buffalo batters the micturating memories and time moves on .  I reflect on those memories and consider a couple of useful quotes given by an ex president of the Labour Party and now the head of the Howard League for Penal Reform, who said that when he lost his Labour seat the advice he was given was that "when you lose you give the task to the next generation and find something else to do".  

We are where we are and I have found a way forward.  I've found something else to do and no doubt the younger generation have improved on what I was doing.



This editions sheep story is the help that we got with pruning in the garden.

We woke up and there were the sheep in the garden having a gourmet breakfast.  
Cabbages, fennel fronds, silver beat and a few trees.  The thing is they had probably been in the garden for a while but Lamborghini had told everyone to keep quiet because, out of consideration to us, they didn't want to wake us up.  Like Private Pike but with a lot more stealth, under the cover of darkness he and all his mates had crept into the garden.  Quite a lot of unintentional pruning was performed but not in the style of either Monty Don.  Lamborghini looked up, it was 100%clear he knew they shouldn't be there. Loud and clear, like a paging request at Heathrow, he said to his mates "we've been caught, we enjoyed it whilst we could, and offer no resistance".  Now I know where the phrase 'Looking Sheepish' comes from.   With very little persuasion they ambled back to their own personal estate and left us to ours.  It is becoming a habit.    So you all now know where the phrase "looking sheepish" comes from.



I put my wellies on, on a cold crisp frosty morning with nothing other than a bucket of sheep nuts, all other nuts had long disappeared!!!

 

The sight of a naked man or hunk was enough to ensure they offered no resistance. Instead they laughed.

 

Anyway, I digress. To the point.  THEY LOOKED SHEEPISH and to tell you all that took almost as long as it takes to get from Wellington to Sydney when the actual process took about 10 minutes.

 




They look very cosy in their Harrods exclusive winter woolly coats which are now so thick that the electric fence has no effect.  Twice today they just ambled straight through it in to the garden.  Both times they knew full well we didn't want them there, they offered minimal resistance and then with a bit of sheep cocaine persuasion they ambled through the gate.  It is almost easy!  They think it is funnier than I do.  They prefer us to a barking dog even though I do sometimes bark.



  • On Saturday 7 June I was out for a walk.  I’d recently returned from the UK and jet lag was still playing havoc.  (I hadn't but for the sake of the story it makes sense to say that)!! Imagine how pleased I was when I chanced across one sign saying, “TT Start” and another of “TT Finish”. 


  •  Unknown to me I was back in the Isle of Man.  Suddenly I heard the mighty roar of motor bike engines and the familiar smell of 110-octane race fuel.
  • I crossed the rickety bridge under the towering hill of Snaefell, or maybe it was Birch Hill, recognised only by it’s carpet of newly planted pines and around the corner at the top of the rocky track was a rev of motorbikes.  I had chanced upon the IoM TT.  Amazing.  Something I’d always wanted to see.
  • Clouds of light blue smoke hid a few of the bikes, a cumulus cloud of steam looked as if the fire extinguisher may have been needed, but nope, it was just the effects of going through one of the many puddles.  It was raining, just as it had done for a few days and the nice smooth tarmac road had been washed into a muddy, rocky, and rutted route.  To accommodate the conditions the usual TT bikes of Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi and BMW had been swapped for KTMs, Suzuki RM250s and Husqvarna FC350s.
  • I’d never seen a TT like it.  The youngest was 14 and the eldest 63.  This was a TT with no sex discrimination.  I was beginning to doubt whether I really was in the Isle of Man, and I was suffering some delusions with the jet lag.  I was a little confused once the hail, wind and snow started.  Apparently, the Isle of Man is having one of its warmest springs ever.  It was time to put my mind to rest. I approached an official looking person, looking official only because she didn’t have a bike and was dressed head to toe in Hi Viz.  “Is this the TT”? I asked.  “Yeah, nah”. There-in lay an immediate hint, ‘yea and no’.  “Am I in the Isle of Man”? “Nah mate, Ruakokopatuna, dude; The Ruakokopatuna Enduro, this is the start of the time trial”.  At that she pulled her foot back which had been holding the departing bike, the engine reached a volume greater than Concorde and off it went, nose elevated, back wheel spinning and mud covering me head to toe.  The bike was lost in a cloud of exhaust and concorde would have been left standing.
  • The annual Ruakokopatuna Enduro was in full, mud splattering swing.  The weather was either ideal for the riders and awful for the marshals.  Cold, windy and wet.  Conditions under wheel were soft and boggy.  Probably ideal for a water buffalo. 


  • Participants came from north of Tokoroa and south of Christchurch.  This enduro is a part of the national series.  At each event the riders accumulate points and with points come prizes, but no one really knows about it such is the modesty of all the riders.  It seems as if the main aim is enjoyment.
  • After one rider swung his back wheel around to dash for the finishing line he was asked “How was your ride, have you had fun”?  His reply, “I’ve had a blast, I’ve had a brilliant time, all my times have been rubbish”.  He imagined a sloth and bearing in mind his entire self and bike were now a shade of thick grey mud; I imagined an underweight hippo (ed – hippos can run very fast).


  • Sadly, due to the weather and recent rain parts of the Enduro were cancelled or shortened but as the organisers said, “everyone’s safety is paramount; best to err on the side of caution” (If you were there, I think you may have sensed that caution was a subjective judgement)!


  • As the Sunday ride progressed bikes zoomed, were pushed or limped in and people headed to the Ruakokopatuna Community Hall where a stunning community effort was in full swing.  A vegetarian was barbequing sausages, the urn for hot drinks had to be refilled several times, the deer still wished he was running around the hills, local home-made pavlova, arctic rolls, chocolate eclairs, custard slice, apple strudel, fruit cake, ginger loaf, and more were eaten with the same kind of joy you’d eat your Mum’s Christmas cake.  A P&O cruise afternoon tea would look positively amateur by comparison.  People realised they had lost their satiation gene for a moment and simply ate, more and more true stories were recounted about how sonic booms were achieved, snow created a white-out, sections were completed without a wheel, punctures were repaired ‘on the go’, how clutch pedals had fallen off and that the third lap was completed without brakes. It was all so plausible.  Yeah right!  Meanwhile times and numbers were fed into computers and if by magic results were produced.  Enduro riders are a modest bunch, no one celebrates like Alcaraz and no one cries like Sabalenka. Almost with embarrassment, Enduro riders take their trophy and quietly walk off having thanked the organisers and the young ones thanked Mum and Dad.  Rightly so.


  • As usual the unsung heroes don’t get a mention.  The stewards who waded through water, sat in snowstorms, held on to life in hurricanes, cursed the cold and revelled in the rain.  Allegedly they enjoyed it.  Heroes, every one of them.
  • The Enduro is a great big ride and a wonderful event for the little Ruakokopatuna Community.  It is also a fundraiser for the Hall and huge thanks go to all the organisers, the bakers of the valley and the participants who all pay an entry fee, some of which the community gets.
  • The medical team were prepared for punctured lungs, fractured femurs, broken necks, cardiac arrests and everything in between.  Amazingly all of the above happened plus a fracture.  Who needs ketamine, helicopters and an AED when you don’t need them?



  • A great event immaculately organised and apparently enjoyed by everyone.
  • The only complaint: “No Soup”.  Clearly a failed event. 


Big significant news.  NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!    The chickens and duck have started laying eggs again.  We went away for a few days and came back to some chickens and a duck that had been busy in our absence - 12 eggs, so supper is an easy decision tonight.

I could go on for as long as there is no peace in the middle east, and for your sake I hope it comes very soon.  Ali and I did another fundraiser for Medical Aid for Palestine.  We did it at a local café, which sold out with 65 people.  The café did excellent food, and I managed to get 4 excellent speakers.  1 Palestinian, 2 non zionist jews / Israelis and the local MP.  Tomorrow we will send $3000 to 3 charities.  Rather pleased!!  From the 2 events we have organised about $7000 has gone to Gaza and there is another event in September.

Local Labour MP Kieran Good Lad McAnulty.


 

Suffice to say that is another rant very close to our hearts. That was unbelievably succinct and brief, wasn't it.  When will people realise that starving people is simply not acceptable, and that Israel houses thousands of hostages in their prisons and behind the separation apartheid wall.  GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr



 

It has been quite a chilly winter but we have a lot of wood we cut down a year ago.  About a month ago we chopped up 4 trees and now have to hire the log splitter to prepare our warmth for next year.  On Sunday we will be helping our wonderful neighbour to put all the logs on to their ute, and then bring them around to our wood shed. It's all good fun.


I was quite honoured for some one to suggest that I might want to think about standing for election to the local community board.  But I'm not that kinda guy.  I can't do committees and I'm too sensitive to have the local populous finding fault and being publicly critical.  But it was a nice thought.  

A visitor; yesterday we had 3 herons.



We had to laugh!  We suggested setting up our local community hall as an 'emergency community hub'.  A lot of places in NZ have them in case of a cyclone, tsunami, cyclone, fire or flood.  I had secured $5000 grant for the project.  So we had a meeting to discuss what was needed and what the priorities were.  The discussion started with the treasurer saying he had "no idea why we were even thinking about it, if a cyclone comes through the hall will get blown away, it's not possible for anyone to get flooded, no chance of fire and you can't do anything about an earthquake".  He seems to have missed the fact that NZ has had 6 extreme events recently and that the incidence of extreme weather events is increasing every year all over the world.  It was a tad frustrating!!


But the local community have been very generous in their appreciation to me for getting another worthwhile grant for more tables and chairs to replace the ones which are left over from when the hall was the local school.  The chairs are a bit small and you risk a splinter in your bum when you sit on them.


out with the old, 


in with the new.


You may have heard the news from Australia about the person who made a beef Wellington for her ex husband who didn't turn up and her ex in-laws.  It was so meticulously well planned that she had hers on a different coloured plate, she bought a new micro wave and chucked it out the next day and apparently she bought the mushrooms at the local South-East Asian shop that doesn't exist,  All she needed to do was go into our woods where Ali found some death cap mushrooms and brough them back, placing them not far from my spot at the table,.  I turned up but her in=laws were long gone.  Should I be worried? 


 
Pudding appreciation time at the Royal Oak.
Where you can play your guitar to an audience, with a spot light.



Clearly worth spending $60 in Sydney.

Because we are in NZ.  Either the sign is upside down, or we are, or the car is.

Of course you would if there is a penguin crossing.  Slow down.

Finally, this puts a whole new perspective on "have a colonoscope".  This is the equivalent gizzmo but instead of either going down your throat or up your bum it goes into a drain to see where the fat berg is and I sat in the van and watched it progress.  Here it enters the anal sphincter.  The appendix was present and the problem.












 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUMS AND BREASTS IN BONDI.

The Flying Olives