A funeral at 354. OBITUARY
I identified with
Lambretta. He was one of us.
Lambretta arrived at 354 Blue Rock Road 4 months ago. Mum had rejected him, so he'd got off to a wobbly start. When we left the adoption meeting with him, he sat in the back of the car looking out of the window wondering where he was going. He arrived with only what he was wearing, no suitcase, just an oversized sheepskin coat, a bit like a football manager of the 1970s. He was young and wrinkly, about 5 days old.
He was a bit of a loner, and very clever. He'd sometimes sit at the same table as his mates but often he'd find a separate one and quietly sit and look at the view and just wonder what life was all about, as he chewed the cud.
“You’ve got it wrong” The IBC water tank is meant to go exactly where he is.
He'd walk with us around the woods and then stay by the river and skim stones. He mucked about. When we left him, he'd get all upset at being left alone and bleat like billy-o.
A walk in the woods. They come with us!
We did all we could. SOOOOO poorly.
He was a part of us, a part of
our fun, a part of our developing memories, a part of our routine, his
kindness was unconditional. He tried to do what I asked but he just
didn't have it in him.
I hated digging a grave and as I did it, I thought to myself 'this would be easier if it was being done for a more deserving cause'.
A one wheeled, 2 handled black herse drew up. He was wrapped in a pinky orange towel. Five of us walked solemnly across the paddock, slowly and silently. We were all dressed respectfully for Lambretta. I put my suit on, last worn at my Dad's funeral.
Lambrusco, Lamborghini and FeLeeecety are in mourning and have spent days being subdued. They are missing the playful frolicking of their hyperactive mate.
He is already missed hugely. We’ve named the walk across to the red sheds, which passes his resting place "LAMBRETTA WALK". He lies there now with red gladioli at his head, and lavender in a world of green rolling pastures, not a big truck and trailer in his world and rivers full of sweet sheep nuts. It must be sheep heaven! He died hiding in the lavender bush.
Consensus from the farmers is that he had 'pulpy kidney', and that there was something wrong from birth, which is why he was rejected by his mother. What I am happy about is that we think we gave him a fun and happy short life. He deffo brought happiness and laughs to our lives Thank you Lambretta..
LAMBRETTA WalkLAMBRETTA
All round good lad
Born Ruakokopatuna Rd September
2021
Died Blue Rock Road in a Lavender
bush 12 December 2021.
Pulpy Kidney.
Fully vaccinated.
Ahhhhh, Lambretta- YOU ARE MY MATE!
What we worry about now is that the other 3 don't become fed up and depressed at not having their play mate around. I couldn't go through this again!! I'll never be critical of others who are upset at losing a 4 legged friend.
Country living is hard; I
want to live in the city!
If I get as upset about
Lambretta, I could never be a farmer!! I don't like death.
For another perspective look at
https://richetal.wordpress.com/2021/12/12/say-cheese-and-a-surprise-farewell/


a lovely obituary, as usual, a very different one from the normal .... but hey, who knows what is the definition of normal now??
ReplyDeleteLook forward meeting the new family member; Chinese got a saying (yes, we always got a saying!) - one life will only come when one life goes ... hope you will soon find a new member to join 354 Blue Rock Road!