There Is Always a First.
THERE'S ALWAYS A FIRST.
In 66 years so much seems to have happened. Some really really good memories of fun, learning, adventure and excitement. Some memories are at the opposite end of the scale. What ever happens, good or bad, fun or sad, there is always the first. It's all normal for all of us.
My therapists, Lamborghini and Lambrusco continue to provide me with good advice, good chat and help in learning to understand a new perspective. Never before have I got so much pleasure from animals, let alone sheeps and chickens and ducks and spitting alpacas.
My not so old Mum died about 26 years ago, not long after my Dad had retired. They moved from Reading to the big family house, decent garden and a 30 tree productive orchard in Cumbria. My Dad had to live the rest of his retirement by himself. I'm sure he got used to it, but he did say to me once "I feel as if I have had half of my retirement taken away from me". I thought that was so sad. I didn't want the same to happen to me.Ali went to the UK to visit her dear old Mum, who is generally in pretty good form. I spoke with Ali everyday and then one day she said "there is something else but I didn't want to worry you" which is an instant cue to worry, "I'm not too good". Patient confidentiality requirements and Information Governance prevent me from divulging any further information, and nothing will be released under the Freedom of Information Act. What I can say is that I was shit scared. She spent 1.5 days in A&E, with the possibility of being admitted. Test was followed by test and then more tests. I visited Dr Google and of course Dr Google's prognosis was not good. I really didn't think I would ever get used to it. Let's just say she is back, in pretty good form and still knocks a tennis ball with the vigour of Serena, cycles to work like Victoria Pendleton, digs the garden like Charlie Dimmock and walks up the hill to get a phone signal. It is a struggle to even think of the possibility of getting used to it. I nearly panicked. Then I had a blood test, and again The Privacy Act 2023 prevents me from divulging any patient information, but effing ell I got worried and quite scared. 'QUITE scared' is a blinkin' understatement!! More tests, and now I await results but still enjoying tennis and my 10kms walk cutting the grass. But, it'll all be ok and I'll keep having a larf and not being too worried because I'm still super active and unhindered. But as you know, that's me. I get flustered due to my underlying anxiety disorder!!! As someone said, "Every little thing is going to be alright".
Ali is managing it in the most diligent way possible, homeopathy, yoga, reading, a very good Facebook help page, a drug and a non carbohydrate diet. It's a good job we grow vegetables and that we like them. Tonight's supper was peas, celery, beans, broccoli and leek with ricotta - all fresh, homegrown and homemade.. Sometimes I sneak in a slice of bread and hope no one notices!!
A leek on steroids
For a short while I thought I was going to have the same experience as my Dad, except that we have 8 hectares, a much bigger garden and a developing orchard with 20 trees at present and a lot of resident therapists to feed. I'm not bad at cutting the grass, planting carrots and cooking broccoli with honey, soy sauce and almond glaze, but I don't know if I'd do it for just myself. Once, only once I made a souffle. It was in the formative days of my love for Ali. About 35 years ago. I was out to impress. She'd been away for 2 days at a conference and came back so hungover that only I really enjoyed it. But I'm over it. History. The past. Over it. I plumbed in our 22500 litre water tank to the solar panel and I drilled a hole straight through a hidden gas pipe when I was putting up shelves. I bumble along, occasionally get some things right but get things wrong a bit more often. I laugh and chat with people, inadvertently I make some people upset.
The saying 'as good as a chocolate teapot' is redundant ' Here we have 'As good as a teapot without a handle' Today the handles of 2 teapots spontaneously fell off. The last tea pot has a fairly sturdy handle. In about 1989 we bought a tandem. Ahhh the love and togetherness was inseparable. Never before had I experienced such enjoyment in spending time with a certain and specific other person. We tandemmed, climbed rocks, went to the theatre and walked around hills together. One of our first long rides was from some where north of Newcastle, heading west towards Carlisle and even home to Preston. It was another of my inspirational stupid ideas to make a testing inaugural ride so long. Off we went. It was all going so well until we stopped for a snack, at which point the back tyre spontaneously deflated. Nothing a quick repair couldn't solve. On we went happily winding our way through the Northumberland country lanes. Fortuitously, not far from a farm the back tyre went down again and it wasn't my rubbish repair. The wall of the tyre had split and the inner tube herniated out and popped. We were stumped. A tandem, no transport, no spare tyre and not really knowing where we were. The friendly farmer ummed and then said "there's a bike in the barn that hasn't been ridden for while, take a tyre off that"! So we did and we were on our way. Every year there is an organised ride around Lake Taupo, 160 kms of beautiful undulations and steep hills. We did it twice on the tandem, with a puncture, and twice on solos.
Then we bought a double sea kayak and paddled from Fort William to Inverness and back as well as heading out into the Cook Straight to paddle around Mana Island, where the escape routes were hampered by a vertical rock face which felt unfortunate as the waves against wind were bigger than the Titanic itself. Sometimes my ideas feel like tea pots without handles!
It's all about problem solving. You may recall that a while back we bought a pump and fire hose in case we had a fire and we couldn't be bothered waiting 40 minutes for the volunteer fire brigade, or we wanted to water the garden. You may also recall that about a year ago we bought a solar pump to pump water up from the spring to our new 25000 litre water tank. Up until about 2 months ago it worked perfectly; then it stopped. During one of those 'old man wakeful moments' at 4.15am I was suddenly inspired. Inspired to have a wee and it must have been the thought of a forcing a steady flow against resistance that I asked myself 'why can't we use the pump, after all it puts an inferno out, so a prostatic trickle should be easy. Well, you know what? It bloomin well worked. The tank is full. I'm going back to sleep. For the clever people reading this, I know I know, it is obvious. But for me it needs thought. As my 3rd form maths teacher said of me "quite nice but terribly thick". I'm chuffed to bits and it makes an early morning pee worth while. I can't wait for tonight's inspiration.
There was the first time that Wigan won the FA Cup, and that is probably enough said about Wigan.
I walked down the hill to sort the pump and who should I chance across but about 100 visitors. I'm guessing they are our wonderful neighbours who sent them down to gate crash our party and cut our grass for us. Talking about parties, folks, whatever 2022 brought to you I wish that 2023 is going to be way better and be a crackin' good year for you, with good health, fun and happiness. There will be some not so good times, it's inevitable, but I hope they are few and far between and short-lived.
If you come to visit us, which would be lovely, you could have the room with the semi en-suite composting toilet. A loo with a stunning view, only a door slide away. If that isn't a temptation, I don't know what is!
Off suite loo with view.I'm sure I will have told you that we used to get coffee sent to us by a lad in Ethiopia, and then suddenly it stopped and we had no idea why. We recently discovered that he had sadly been killed in a car crash, leaving behind a wife and 2 children. So sad, and quite difficult to be totally unable to do anything to help. He was always so so appreciative for the money we sent for the coffee, e mailing as soon as he'd received the money or gifts we sent. The coffee is a minor issue, but we have tracked down another lad, this time in Uganda who now sends us the hooch and the first parcel arrived the other day; I'm claiming it to be the only Ugandan coffee in NZ.
Now as I wind up I'll close by showing off the early season in the garden. We are quite pleased. Skite-o'clock-time.
Just you and me
Now won't you tell me the true
Ain't that the way it oughta be?
To hold each other tight
The whole night through
Ev'rything is always right
When I'm alone with you.
To be alone with you
At the close of the day
With only you in view
While evenings slips away
It only goes to show
That while life's pleasures be few
The only one I know
Is when I'm alone with you.
They say that nighttime is the right time
To be with the one you love
Too many thoughts get in the way in the day
But you're always what I'm thinkin' of
I wish the night were here
Bringin' me all of your charms
When only you are near
To hold me in your arms.
I'll always thank the Lord
When my working day's through
I get my sweet reward
To be alone with you.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. It would be great if you can tell me who you are, rather than being anonymous. Thanks.