MEMOIRS: PERSPECTIVE IS IMPORTANT.
67 years ago I wasn't even thought about, so there was nothing to celebrate and no perspective to perceive. I'm still around having achieved a few satisfying and not so great things in those years. I hated school and was dismally unsuccessful. It wasn't until I was 32 that I realised that studying and learning could be fun, satisfying, interesting and enjoyable. Ali tutored me through a whole new experience. It was a revelation. I learnt to take x rays, plus a bit more. I took x-rays of a tiger and lots of tuataras on a remote island in the Cook Straight at night, as well as broken bones, swallowed objects, blocked coronary arteries, CT and MRI scans. However, it wasn't until we returned to NZ that I discovered that when doing CT in NZ 'PV' means 'portal venous', and I always thought it was something else! No wonder I was stopped from doing CT at Warwick!!
It was a thrill, and enabled me to have 32 generally very happy working years, after I had had a fun time bumming around for 14 years. Now I'm loving the new job of 'retirement'.
In February I had to celebrate suddenly becoming an even older codger so we went to Manly Beach and watched the surfers, we loved the Sydney Art Gallery and a stunning walk through the botanical gardens. We spent wonderful time with the best aunt possible in the whole world of anyone's aunts (unbiased judgement), Ali's aunt Bryanne, who lives in Sydney. Good laughs, frivolous fun, interesting chat, scrummy food, lovely lattes; what's not to like?
We once camped in our little 2 person coffin sized tent high up in the hills of the Picos de Europa. As I washed up by the small lake I looked down to the sea to see a lightening display that made those in London at new year look like vegetarian fireworks. As the night went on the lightening got closer, the wind got up and the rain came down. We lay there clinging to the tent. wondering if it mattered that the tent poles were metal. At that time we were pretty scared, but perspective is important, what has happened up north pales our little blow job in to insignificance.
All this was preceded by severe flooding in Auckland, where the departure / check-in area at the international airport was 40cms deep in water.
All these people must have been so scared and that puts into perspective fears I have had. They pale into insignificance. Some memorable climbs had my legs trembling like a Singer sewing machine, Overhanging Bastion, Little Brown jug, Tophet Wall, West Gully in Lochnagar in Winter and Deer Bield crack made me sweat. Coming out of my canoe in a ferocious stopper wave on the Lune made me realise the speed at which life could be over, getting lost in the Australian bush on Wilson's prom reminded me that a map may be a good idea and inadvertently paddling through the Falls of Lora near Oban scared me **1*less. The house shaking with the help of an earthquake reminded me that some things we have no control over. The poor folks up north have no control over the full force of nature. I actually chose to get myself scared.
West Gully Lochnagar
Over-Hanging Bastion, Castle Rock
Little Brown Jug, Bosigran
Falls of Lora under the Connell Bridge, Oban. This white water and whirlpools happens on both ebb and flow.
Confidentiality requirements, the Privacy Act and exemption from the Freedom of Information Act prevents me from divulging anything, and despite blood test results I easily managed a 40kms bike ride to the Otaki Kite Festival. Despite cyclonic winds up north we had a perfect day for a bike ride. Sun and not a breath of wind. Sadly it wasn't a great day for kite flying, but a few of the smaller kites got up, it was so so pretty and colourful. It's a pity there wasn't more wind otherwise we would have seen a flying orca, a giant green turtle and a massive lammergeier falcon; all of which we have seen anyway, but only the lammergeier flying.
The ride back was good until my chain broke, so I linked it up again (I carry a chain link remover), then the rear derailleur broke so I took about 6 inches of chain out and re-joined it but the weakest link broke again. We were only about 4kms from the car so Ali went to get it whilst I tried yet another repair. I was so heartened by the number of people who stopped to offer help, and equally as disheartened by all those that didn't. The best though was a 62 year old grey haired golf club member lady in a smart car who pulled up along side me and offered to give me a lift, plus bike. Make of that what you will. Either she was desperate, hard up or simply super kind. I reckon the latter. I didn't chance my luck, Ali was on her way back with our car to pick me up. Isn't she just so super kind. Choices!!
Fear from physical harm, illness and the environmental carnage are overt, but the covert can be also be mighty difficult. It is expected that up north there will be a huge increase in mental illness where people have lost so much. I have always struggled with a sense of emotional and social inadequacy. A lack of self esteem and confidence. A real feeling that I rarely get things right, which can be compounded by peoples behaviour and words. I celebrated with a phone call to Ali when one of many suggestions at my Dad's house clear out was actually acknowledged as worthwhile, and for once not dismissed. One! Clearly I'm rubbish. It's something I have had to work hard on. I refer to myself as a 'social cripple', but I do my best to overcome that and maintain a social contact. It's a struggle and advice given to me was 'don't talk about yourself, ask people about them'. So I did, but got horribly criticised for asking questions. "Oh here goes rich again, with his questions"; how rude! How harsh! All I thought I was ever doing was showing an interest in others. I don't do it any longer, I just sit in silence.. I'm sorry for the annoyance I brought with me. I can understand the difficulty Adrian Chiles describes in his recent Guardian article. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/23/loneliness-is-awful-so-every-day-i-try-to-start-a-conversation-with-a-stranger
The quiet solitude in my life at present is quite nice, 19 kms from town and a kilometre from our neighbour, even though Ali worries that I am socially isolated!!! But we do have the loveliest neighbours, we know some smashing people around and about and I have my resident therapists.
From the dinner tableAs summer comes, so does some warmth, which means I slither into a bit of slow motion action. I spent 2 days helping good friends Trevor and Frances bottle their cider, ready to be drunk with great pleasure in 2 years time. Only about 2000 bottles, so it'd better be worth it. The grapes are getting juicy which is exactly what the birds like so I've been plying the rows of vines putting nets over them. The resulting wine is of course much more important than the birds bellies. That'll be followed by picking the grapes and then taking the nets off. My present cycle of life.
The cider bottling plant The cellar
I'm still getting some good therapy from the menagerie. With the warmth we decided that the alpacas and sheeps should take their jerseys off. Cass came over and wrestled the alpacas to the ground, strung them out and gave them a No 1. Either they are severely anorexic, malnourished, or related to Victoria Beckham without implants. Whilst Cass was here we rolled the sheeps over and gave them a hooficure, as in pedicure and a squirt of anti athletes foot spray, 'athlete', hmm, maybe that is being a bit generous to them, strollers foot spray.. I think they should love it the way we look after them, but I'm not sure they really appreciate it; a few weeks earlier they had a hair cut at the local wooldressers, and now they all wear coats that even John Motson and every '70s football manager would be envious of. They wear coats from Harrods and not Primark. They are so cuddly and peaceful. Perspective is interesting, at school we were forbidden from having our hair on our collar, and many fun and stupid ways around the problem were implemented. Afros, the girlies hair curlers, head shaving which resulted in the kid not being taught unless he wore a hat and like the sheeps I had a No1 skin'ead. Whilst I think our sheeps are super smart, cuddly, lovable and peaceful, my dear Mum said 'oh Rich, don't get your hair cut so short, it makes you look terribly aggressive'.
Hooficure Strung up for the No1 skin'ead
Yesterday a white sheep from the farm next door got into our field, and one of our black sheeps chased her off like a lion chasing a wildebeest in the Serengeti!! Who ever knew sheep could be racists. Who has ever heard of a guard sheep?
we're making some blinkin' good camembert and cheddar.
Proud of my steroid enhanced Dacon radish
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. It would be great if you can tell me who you are, rather than being anonymous. Thanks.